[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
tribaltextiles.info • View topic - is it a Yi baby carrier? Possibly Yao...?

tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Attachments:
YiRedwoolBCw.jpg
YiRedwoolBCw.jpg [ 71.2 KiB | Viewed 16890 times ]
YiBCgw.jpg
YiBCgw.jpg [ 75.73 KiB | Viewed 16890 times ]
YiBCcw.jpg
YiBCcw.jpg [ 78.66 KiB | Viewed 16890 times ]
YiBCaw.jpg
YiBCaw.jpg [ 72.73 KiB | Viewed 16890 times ]
languageBCYi174w.jpg
languageBCYi174w.jpg [ 77.03 KiB | Viewed 16890 times ]
08.010LanguageBCYi173w.jpg
08.010LanguageBCYi173w.jpg [ 75.73 KiB | Viewed 16890 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Attachments:
YiBCg-det.jpg
YiBCg-det.jpg [ 74.44 KiB | Viewed 16889 times ]
YiBCa-det.jpg
YiBCa-det.jpg [ 72.98 KiB | Viewed 16889 times ]
languageBCYi174det.jpg
languageBCYi174det.jpg [ 79.77 KiB | Viewed 16889 times ]

Post subject: ?possibly Han?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:14 pm 

Hello
I do share the opinion of Iain. I can't find anything ethnic or tribal in this piece. On the opposit, I see many references to the popular folklore of the Chinese. All the symbols used here are traditional han symbols for prosperity, wealth, health, longevity... The style is more 'rural", but it is han chinese.
I couldn't say more on Iain's explanation. The B shaped caracter (ri) means the sun, and the symbols on the borders are definitely representing the Immortals, but like Iain, I can't link the last one to any immortals. Only I 'd say it looks like a book. In fact, as Iain noticed, there is not a tiger on this piece of textile but a unicorn (qilin), a very pacific animal despite its ferocious look. The qilin or unicorn is an auspicious mythic animal that brings children (this is a baby carrier) This animal is a symbol of good fortune and kindness. It has the body covered with shells, the tail of a cow, the head of a dragon and a unic horn.
I would only add that the first caracter in the prayer wheel looks like the the caracter wu on the old chinese coins. It is usually accompanied of 3 other caracters that mean together : the ones satisfied are always cheerful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:13 am 

I don’t know if it’s the right direction, but just to add more on the wu caracter and the Chinese coins, check this Internet page and you will see the caracter wu on many old coins beginning with the Three Kingdoms (221 - 265 a.d.) till the Tang dynasty (618 - 907 a.d.):
http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/idpage3.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:22 am 

Sorry, it's me again. I’ve a lot of free time since I moved to Shanghai and I’m keeping on thinking about this “baby carrier”. There is something that arises my curiosity about it.

If I look at the pictures, I see some sort of metal buttons on its side and top to fix the side strips to hold the carrier and the baby in it on the back. But, frankly, are they solid enough to hold the weight of a baby ? I know I would never trust such a fragile way of holding a child on my back. Could this be really a baby carrier ? What if this way of holding was only for holding the fabric itself and nothing else ? Could this be a kind of banner or even apron ?

What made me doubt about the use of this textile, is the translation of the top cartouche - thanks to my wife. This text has to be read in a special way. In fact, these are two different texts side by side.

The first one is beginning on the top right, with a column of 3 caracters that you read by going downward, then you go to the second column, immediately on the left of the first one, with two other caracters that have to be read vertically, from top to bottom.

The second text is on the left side of the cartouche, and you have to read it beginning by the top left caracter of the first left column. Similarly to the first text, you go after to the second column on the right, to read the 2 last vertically placed caracters beginning from the top and going downward.

I didn’t tell my wife we were talking about a baby carrier, and after reading the text, she asked : ‘Is this another Taoist priest dress ?’

Here is her translation of the cartouche. She translated it to me in French, and I wrote it down into my bad english :
First text Kuan hong cheng gua lie
Thanks to a wide spirit (could also be translated by ‘generous vision’), one will put the bagua in the right order (the bagua being the 8 diagrams used in Taoist cosmology to represent the world and arrange concepts/elements between them)
Second text Hou zai bin kun tong
One should have a heart full of compassion to become like Earth and Sea

Knowing the meaning of the text, I began to look at this ‘baby carrier’ differently. All the symbols on this piece of textile are so Taoist and esoteric.

I would be curious to have the advice of others on this, but my wife told me that this piece of textile could well be something else than a simple baby carrier.

Lieutenant Columbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:02 am 

The characters on the unfurling scroll on the top left definitely are not Han Chinese. It looks like it might be a representation of an Yi bimo book.
I am not an expert on bimo books or the Yi. I am simply venturing a possibility.

If it is a baby carrier why the eyelet on the top? If it was for a headcover wouldn't there be two eyelets?

What a nice mystery. I look forward to seeing who can solve it.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:35 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:17 pm 

What an interesting thread about a beautiful textile! It's amazing to me that a textile has lead to a discussion about religion, archaeology and language!

I don't have much to add, but my first impression when viewing the writing on the "scroll" is that it is somehow related to the trigrams of the I Ching, which based on what yuanzhumin had researched, appears to have it's roots in the Yi language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:03 am 

I have noticed that the address for the website written in Yi language is slightly different from the one I pasted before. Here it is, hoping that everybody will be able to access it now.
http://www.yizuren.com/YI/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Attachments:
File comment: reverse of textile
YiBCBackDetailw.jpg
YiBCBackDetailw.jpg [ 48.76 KiB | Viewed 16730 times ]
File comment: detail of symbol in bottom right black band
YiBCa-det.jpg
YiBCa-det.jpg [ 70.83 KiB | Viewed 16730 times ]