tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

A 'must have' book is about to be available for all those with an interest in the textiles of Southwest China - especially weaving:
'The Roots of Asian Weaving: The He Haiyan Collection of Textiles and Looms from Southwest China' by Eric Boudot & Chris Buckley published by Oxbox Books in the UK and USA. The Hardback edition is ISBN 978-1-76570-144-3

See the Oxbow Books web page http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/the-roo ... aving.html which has an introduction and the table of contents. If you access https://www.academia.edu/16855383/The_R ... an_Weaving you may be able to download a PDF file of the first 7 pages. You might have to 'join' academia.edu first. The book is also available on Amazon to pre-order.

I am fortunate to have an advance copy and am currently reading the book page-by-page for a review for the Oxford Asian Textiles Group magazine, 'Asian Textiles'. Although I am only part-way through I can heartily recommend it. It is an extremely weighty (2.2kg) volume of 474 pages. It incorporates significant research of the historical background of the ethnic minorities, their looms and their (mainly) woven textiles. It is also includes full of colour photos of a wide range of woven textiles, sketches of looms, weavers and images of field research.

I quote below from the publisher's information:
Quote:
This ground-breaking book documents the weaving traditions and textiles of one of Asia’s most ethnically diverse areas, placing them in a regional context. Based on more than a decade of first-hand study in the field, the authors record the traditions of Miao, Yao, Buyi, Dong, Zhuang, Maonan, Dai and Li weavers from Guizhou to Hainan Island. They describe the looms and techniques of these groups, including diagrams, descriptions and photographs of the weaving processes and woven structures. Each tradition is illustrated with outstanding examples of textiles, drawn from the He Haiyan collection in Beijing, including many 19th century examples.

The authors present a novel analysis of loom technology across the Asian mainland, using techniques derived from linguistics and biology. They use these to chart the evolutionary history of looms in Asia, demonstrating that all the major traditions are related in spite of their apparent diversity. The results have far-reaching implications, for example shedding light on the development of the Chinese Drawloom and showing how key patterning features were derived from Tai-Kadai looms.

The book is a visual delight as well as a resource for scholars, collectors and curators. The fieldwork in this book is a primary, while the looms and techniques will be essential reading for those interested in weaving and textile history, as well as contemporary weavers and designers wishing to learn how to reproduce traditional patterns and methods. The account of the development and links between weaving cultures will be a revelation for those interested in cultural evolution and the diversity of mankind.

There is a paucity published information on the weaving of SW China with almost nothing in English so this volume fills a large void. For those of you who have enjoyed Chris Buckley's informative posts on this forum you will recognise his lucid writing style which I have been enjoying as I get to grips with the subject matter. I believe that the book should be generally available in January 2016

Attachments:
File comment: The Roots of Asian Weaving
Roots02.jpg
Roots02.jpg [ 403.82 KiB | Viewed 7048 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:41 am 
Site Admin

I have heard today from Chris Buckley that there is now available an E-book edition of 'The Roots of Asian Weaving'. It is a Kindle version but, with the Kindle app. you can read on most other devices. It is quite expensive (sadly E-books are subject to VAT) but, given the weight of the physical book, could be great to be able to carry around on something like an IPad Mini.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource