tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:40 pm 

The September 2014 issue of Textiles Asia includes my article on ikat from the Meifu Li people of Hainan. Despite being common in other parts of Asia, ikat is strangely absent from China, apart from the Li people of Hainan. Li ikat is interesting because it appears uninfluenced by Indian or Chinese traditions, and gives a glimpse into what textiles may have looked like across much of Asia in the distant past. The cover image is a Li ikat sarong, that also includes a colourful band of silk supplementary weft.

The sarong isn't upside-down, the Li wear them like this, so that the decorative band shows at the bottom. The top part is usually folded over once or twice to secure it, and worn with a short, plain blue jacket.

Textiles Asia is published 3 times a year in Hong Kong and is available on subscription. For more details see the website http://www.textilesasia.com This issue also includes an article by Joanna Barrkman on the upcoming exhibition of texiles from Timor at the Fowler Museum/UCLA, and a review of the new book on 'Textiles from Borneo' (Herbert Amman collection).

Attachments:
File comment: Textiles Asia, September 2014 issue
textilesasia1.jpg
textilesasia1.jpg [ 165.53 KiB | Viewed 2691 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris

I look forward to receipt of my September 2014 edition of 'Textiles Asia' to read your Meifu Li article as I am a long-time subscriber. As you may remember, I am very interested in the Li and have several of their textiles in my collection. There is certainly a shortage of available research material on them, particularly in English.

Also see my October 2013 short review of 'Textiles from Borneo' (Herbert Amman collection) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2444 with which I was very taken. I will look forward to reading the review of the book in TA which will probably be more cerebral and less swayed by the glorious photos. The quality of the images is stunning!

Best,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource