tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

I felt I must share with forum members a short video courtesy of Inspirasi Pagi MNCTV featuring the launch last week in Jakarta of Sandra Niessen's latest 'Project Pulang Kampung III'. For non-Indonesian speakers (of which I am one) I think we can still get the flavour. The music performed by the group Suarasama is based on a Batak weaver's song which Sandra recorded about 30 years ago during her research in North Sumatra.

Sandra gives background to Pulang Kampung III on her blog

Pulang Kampung III should now (or very soon) be setting sail (on Boat Budaya) around Lake Toba to take the film Rangsa ni Tonun, a film about Batak weaving techniques based on an ancient Batak text, to give Batak villagers in North Sumatra, Indonesia, access to their ancient weaving tradition. To quote from Sandra's blog:

Quote:
During the project, ancient Batak textiles and a film about the traditional weaving techniques will be brought to the villages around beautiful Lake Toba: cultural repatriation in the form of a traveling exhibition and theatre. Young Batak people who are keen to learn about their culture will be invited to join the trip. Traditional Batak musicians will grace the journey with acoustic melodies.

The journey will take place by bus and, where possible, by boat. We call the latter the 'culture craft' (Boat Budaya). In the past, the Batak paddled to market in large dugout boats; the largest markets were situated on the shoreline of the lake. Our boat, although it will be in the modern style, will add a touch of nostalgia in addition to bringing us efficiently to the villages around the lake.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

To see how the PPKIII is progressing see Sandra's blog, currently 11 posts for September starting with http://bataktextiles.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... nched.html At last some of the digital technical gremlins have been overcome and Sandra able to get her computer working and keeping us up-to-date on her blog.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource